Wednesday

Cute Graphics + Ikea = FAB Pillows!

I made some fun and easy pillows this weekend.  I think they turned out great.






I started with this pillow cover that I purchased at Ikea.






I used this graphic that I found on  The Graphics Fairy's blog.  I absolutely LOVE The Graphics Fairy's blog!!   I flipped the image so it would work correctly when I ironed it on the pillow.  You can flip an image in Picasa by pressing Control/Shift/H. 


I bought this package of Jolee's Easy Image Transfer Sheets for White Fabrics from Michael's.  I saw on The Mango Archive's Blog that she used iron on transfers on dishtowels.  I figured it'd work on pillows too.

I copied the graphic onto the transfer paper using my inkjet printer.



  The directions on the transfer paper say not to use directly on an ironing board, so I used our old bread board with an old pillow case over it. Then I put the bread board and old pillowcase INSIDE the new pillow cover.   I didn't want the graphic to somehow get heated to both sides.  (not sure that it would have, but didn't want to find out.)
I ironed the pillow a little, so the major wrinkles were out, but didn't go crazy getting it perfect.



I then cut the transfer paper.  But please note--cut closer to the image than I did here!  This was my first attempt and the transfer paper does show up around the edges. You need a little bit of an edge--about 1/2" is probably good.  


I placed the transfer paper on the pillow cover and made sure it was centered pretty well.


I used an iron without steam set on COTTON.   I put the iron on one spot and held it for 20 seconds.  I would then lift the iron up and set it down on another spot for 20 seconds.  I made sure all of the areas were ironed, especially the edges.  I probably set the iron down at least in ten different places to make sure I got everything.

I peeled the paper backing off carefully and the image stuck to the pillow.






On this one, you can see where I messed up and didn't cut close enough to the image, so you can see the transfer paper.  I did cut the paper closer in pillows I made after this one and they all look great.  Even though the edges show up on this first one, it is not nearly as noticeable once the pillow insert is put in. 






Here's another one I made.  I collect old scales and love this image too! 

I am so happy with my new pillows.  I even made some for birthday gifts. 
Here's the breakdown in cost:  (if you're one of my friends who received this as a gift, you can quit reading now!)  :)










Pillow cover:  $6.00 Ikea
Pillow Insert:  $6.99 Ikea
Transfer paper: $0.60 each Michael's.  (a pack of 10 was $6 after coupon)
Total per pillow: $13.59!




Thanks so much for coming by.  I appreciate your visits and comments.

Pam






Please check out these parties that I've linked to: