Friday

Try, Try Again--The Tale of Painting a Table




I found this table at a garage sale this summer for $5.
 
(For the table redo on the left, click HERE.  For the wall hanging redo, click HERE)


I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it, so started by sanding it down.





I decided to try homemade chalk paint.  I mixed together 3 parts black paint,  1 part Plaster of Paris and a little bit of water.  I only did one coat, but decided that I did not like the look of it at all.  It was much more grey than I wanted.  Of course, this was after only one coat, so I'm guessing that it would've improved with more painting...



But, it wasn't the look I was going for, so back to sanding it down again.... 

 




I then sprayed it with Rustoleum 2x Flat Black paint.  After the first coat, I sanded it lightly on the top with 220 grit sandpaper.  I applied another coat of black and it looked pretty good.  After that dried, I finished by spraying the whole thing with Rustoleum's 2x Clear Gloss.  








I added this cute knob I found (I may have found it at Hobby Lobby, but it's been a long time and now I'm not sure.)





I put this old candy machine on it, along with some billiard balls in a jar and a plant.  I'm not sure that I'll keep this stuff on there, but it's a start. 




I would love to try redoing another piece with chalkpaint at some point, and I know that painting it all black might seem boring, but it works with the other furniture and accessories in the room.  And it looks a whole lot better than when I found it.  :)



Thanks for coming by!

Pam

I am linking to the following parties: